Fire destroys home

Published 11:28 am Tuesday, November 22, 2016

AHOSKIE – A local family is “thankful” to have their lives after watching their home go up in flames near here Sunday afternoon.

It appears that a pan of hot grease, left unattended, is the cause of the blaze that occurred shortly past 3 p.m. at 218 Vann Road, located off the Ahoskie-Cofield Road in the Brantley’s Grove community.

1122fire2-wenbMike Bradley, Assistant Chief of the Ahoskie Rural Fire Department, said the fire was accidental.

“We were told that the adult woman in the home was cooking a pan of French fries and briefly left the kitchen to check on her child,” Bradley said. “She said she heard a noise coming from the kitchen and when she went to check on it she saw flames shooting up the wall behind the stove.

“She grabbed her child and got out of the house, and then called 9-1-1,” Bradley added.

By the time the first fire unit arrived on the scene just minutes later, flames and heavy, wind-blown smoke were visible outside the home.

Bradley said the woman, Crystal Warren, was renting the home, which is owned by Kenny and Connie Newsome.

“It’s a total loss,” Bradley said of the residence. “The good news is that no one was injured.”

Ahoskie Rural responded to the scene with five units and 17 firefighters.

The Winton Volunteer Fire Department also responded to the scene with three units and 12 members.

Hertford County EMS was summoned to the scene to provide firefighter rehab if needed.

Bradley said his department remained on the scene until 5:30 p.m.

About Cal Bryant

Cal Bryant, a 40-year veteran of the newspaper industry, serves as the Editor at Roanoke-Chowan Publications, publishers of the Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald, Gates County Index, and Front Porch Living magazine.

email author More by Cal