Blaze displaces duplex renters

Published 7:21 am Monday, April 22, 2013

AHOSKIE – A residential fire here Thursday morning has caused three individuals to seek temporary housing.

The blaze was confined to a duplex located at 210-212 Hill Street. Heavy smoke was billowing from the older wood frame house, divided into two apartments, upon the arrival of the Ahoskie Fire Department.

Ahoskie Fire Chief Ken Dilday said that the blaze originated in the 212 side of the duplex, an apartment rented by Pamela Bazemore.

“She told me that she had placed some spaghetti in the microwave and left the house to walk next door,” Dilday said. “It was near that microwave where we believe the fire broke out. We believe the fire was electrical in nature.”

Dilday said Bazemore shares the residence with Don Lewter.

The other half of the duplex was rented by Peggy Smallwood. Dilday said she was at work in Virginia at the time of the fire.

The duplex is owned by Myra Miller of Clifton, VA.

Dilday said the worst of the damage was contained to Bazemore’s side of the duplex.

“There was heavy damage in the kitchen and a good amount of smoke damage elsewhere in that side of the house,” Dilday noted. “Apartment 210 had smoke damage only. The fire wall, which was in place all the way up to the attic, did its job. It protected that side of the duplex.”

Dilday said both sides of the duplex were unlivable at the current time. He contacted the American Red Cross on behalf of the victims.

The Town of Ahoskie and Ahoskie Rural Fire Departments combined to send 14 men and three units to the blaze. Mutual aid was supplied by the Winton Fire Department (two units and six firefighters) and the Union Volunteer Fire Department (one unit and four men). Hertford County EMS and the Hertford County Fire Marshal also responded to the scene.

The last Ahoskie Fire unit cleared the scene at 11:30 a.m.

About Cal Bryant

Cal Bryant, a 40-year veteran of the newspaper industry, serves as the Editor at Roanoke-Chowan Publications, publishers of the Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald, Gates County Index, and Front Porch Living magazine.

email author More by Cal