Scabies reported

Published 9:45 am Monday, June 4, 2012

AHOSKIE – A local assisted living facility is taking the proper precautions after a couple cases of scabies has been discovered in their building.

On Thursday, the Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald received a phone call from a woman who said there was an outbreak of scabies at Guardian Care of Ahoskie.

Scabies is a fairly common contagious skin condition caused by mites that burrow in the outer layers of the skin. The condition causes intense itching and tiny burrow tracks made up of small blisters or bumps can be seen on the skin.

Hertford County Public Health Authority Director Jim Madson said scabies cases are considered a nuisance and typically not reported to local health departments.

“Scabies is not really reportable as far as disease goes,” he said.

Madson said the Environmental Health Unit contacted Guardian Care on Thursday and the management there confirmed two cases of scabies. He said it was not specified if the two cases were either employees or patients.

He added proper procedures are being followed to get rid of the scabies, including treating those affected with an ointment, laundering bed sheets and cleaning walls and floors with bleach.

Madson said the Environmental Health Unit followed up with the business on Friday.