Bears-Aces still tied

Published 1:27 pm Monday, April 11, 2011

AHOSKIE – Eight innings and still no winner.

Hertford County and Edenton played eight innings of baseball here Friday, but remain tied 4-all after a heavy downpour forced the game to be called.

After two scoreless innings, the Aces scored first in the top of the third inning to take a 1-0 lead.

In the bottom of the third, Marvin Harrell singled with two outs. Daniel Merritt then reached on an error and Brandon Warren singled on the infield to load the bases. Unfortunately for the home team, a fly out ended the threat.

The Aces added another mark in the top of the third to take a 2-0 advantage.

Hertford County responded with three runs in the home half of the third to take its first lead of the game.

Tyler Pryor and Mitchell Godwin drew back-to-back walks and then Brandon Staton made the Edenton pitcher pay for those miscues by belting a three-run homerun to center field and giving HCHS a 3-2 edge.

The Aces, however, responded with a pair of runs in the fifth to move back in front by a 4-3 count.

In the bottom of the fifth frame, the Bears tied the game.

Merritt singled to left and moved around to third on a Brandon Warren double to right-center field. Merritt then scored on a Tucker Warren groundout to tie the game.

In the top of the seventh, the Aces loaded the bases with no outs, but Pryor struck out three in a row to keep the visitors at bay.

An inning later, Hertford County got a leadoff single to left from Brandon Warren in the home half. He moved to second on a Tucker Warren sacrifice, but two strikeouts ended the inning.

The game was halted at that point due to the rains. The makeup date has not been set.

Burden pitched the first six innings for HCHS, allowing four runs and five hits while striking out 11. Pryor pitched the final two innings. He allowed no runs on two hits and struck out four.

The Bears recorded eight hits during the first eight innings, led by Warren’s three hits. Merritt added two hits.

Hertford County’s baseball squad will be back in action today (Tuesday) when they travel to First Flight High School for another Northeastern Coastal Conference game.