HCHS stays unbeaten

Published 8:12 pm Monday, December 6, 2010

AHOSKIE – The Bears remain perfect.

Hertford County High School’s varsity boy’s basketball team secured win number two for the 2010-11 season here Friday night, downing Northampton-East 87-52.

Jordan Jones led four Bears in double digits with 22 points while Petey Boone chipped in 19, D’Isaac Jordan had 13 and Dontez Tyler chipped in 10.

Christopher Bishop paced the Rams with 15 points.

The Bears got out of the gate strongly, racing out to an early 14-5 lead. Jones had the first bucket of the game, but was answered quickly by a Grant Evans triple for East.

HCHS, however, scored the next seven unanswered beginning with a Dekimis Perry hoop and ending with a three-pointer by Jordan as they led 9-3. A William Jamar bucket stopped the spurt, but Boone had a triple and then a pair of free throws to give the Bears a nine-point edge (14-5).

Northampton rallied when a three-pointer from Evans started a 7-0 run of their own that closed the gap to 14-12.

Two free throws from Shabazz Atkins and a triple by Boone pushed the advantage back to seven, but Jamar scored again to stop the run.

A three-point play by Jones, however, gave the Bears a 22-14 edge after one period of play.

Jones started the second quarter with a hoop and then Tyler added a pair of free throws as HCHS soared ahead 26-14.

An exchange of buckets was followed by a 12-1 spurt for HCHS that was led by Jones as the Bears grabbed a 42-21 edge. They led 49-28 at the intermission.

The Rams came out of the half on a 5-0 run thanks to Bishop, but HCHS responded with five unanswered of their own to reclaim the same edge.

Kyshawn Gaskins then had three straight points for the Rams as they closed within 54-36.

Unfortunately for the visitors, they wouldn’t score again in the third quarter as HCHS tallied the final 10 points of the period to take a 64-36 lead.

The Bears added to that lead early in the fourth quarter as they opened the period on a 11-5 spurt with the big play coming on a three-pointer by Atkins. The result was a comfortable 75-41 lead for the Bears.

From there, they cruised to the 87-52 victory.

The Bears will be back in action tonight (Tuesday) as they travel to South Central High School. Northampton-East is off until Saturday when they host a rematch with Hertford County.