Fire destroys Mapleton home

Published 6:13 pm Friday, July 15, 2022

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

MURFREESBORO – A three-alarm fire destroyed a residence near here Friday morning.

The dwelling, a single-wide mobile home, was located at 119 Harewood Road in the Mapleton community. The blaze was reported at 8:43 a.m.

Murfreesboro Fire Chief Harrison Revelle told the Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald that the home was rented by two adults.

“They had already left for work when the fire occurred,” Revelle said.

He added that the home was fully engulfed in flames upon the arrival of the first unit.

“We feel like the fire originated in the living room, but we aren’t sure of that due to the amount of damage,” Revelle said.

Firefighters from Murfreesboro, Winton, and Union responded, along with Hertford County Emergency Management and Hertford County EMS.

Revelle said there were approximately 10 units and 20-to-25 firefighters on the scene. He was the last to leave, checking out at 10:30 a.m.

“I’ve contacted the Red Cross to help these folks…they lost everything they had except the clothes they wore to work,” Revelle said.

About Cal Bryant

Cal Bryant, a 40-year veteran of the newspaper industry, serves as the Editor at Roanoke-Chowan Publications, publishers of the Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald, Gates County Index, and Front Porch Living magazine.

email author More by Cal