COVID deaths increase in Northampton
JACKSON – For the first time since August, Northampton County has experienced loss of life due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
This week, the Northampton County Health Department reported two deaths associated with the virus. That increases the number of Northampton COVID deaths to 19.
These are the first COVID-related deaths in the county since Aug. 11.
“Northampton County Health Department works hard to protect the privacy of individuals, and to respect the families of those cases who have passed-away. To that end, we will not be sharing any further information,” Northampton Health officials said on their Facebook page.
As of Oct. 15, the Northampton County Health Department said there have been 533 total positive cases (28 active) of the virus since the outbreak began in March. That number reflects an increase of 17 cases since last week.
To date, 486 county citizens who had the virus have recovered.
As of Friday (Oct. 16), Albemarle Regional Health Services reported the following (note – the number of lab confirmed cases represent a cumulative total since the outbreak began in March):
Bertie County – 674 lab confirmed cases: 24 active, 636 recovered, and 14 deaths;
Gates County – 160 lab confirmed cases: 10 active, 147 recovered, and 3 deaths; and
Hertford County – 837 lab confirmed cases: 19 active, 783 recovered, and 35 deaths.
The number of recent cases is higher in those three counties as compared to one week ago (30 new cases in Bertie; five in Gates; and 22 more in Hertford). However, the number of recoveries also increased since Oct. 9 (+33 in Bertie; +5 in Gates; and +15 in Herford).
Across the state, the COVID-19 numbers are trending significantly higher.
On Friday, the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services reported the state’s highest one-day increase of laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 cases to date with 2,684 new cases. The department also reported the second highest number of hospitalizations in the past 30 days with 1,148. That number had fell to 883 on Sept. 18.
As the numbers continue to move in the wrong direction on this key metric, it is more important than ever that all North Carolinians use the tools they have to slow the spread of the virus: wearing a face covering over your nose and mouth, waiting at least 6 feet from others and washing your hands often. Masks have been proven to slow the spread of COVID-19, especially if worn correctly and collectively.
Anyone with symptoms or anyone who thinks they have been exposed to COVID-19, whether or not they have symptoms, should be tested for the virus.
NCDHHS also encourages people download and use SlowCOVIDNC, the official exposure notification app for North Carolina. SlowCOVIDNC alerts users when they may have been exposed to someone who has tested positive. The app relies on users to anonymously submit their positive result to notify others. The more people who download and use SlowCOVIDNC, the more we can slow the spread.
The department has issued guidance for fall-related events to help organizers and consumers minimize the risk for COVID-19 transmission. Even in small groups of close friends or extended family, it is critical that all North Carolinians wear a face covering whenever they are in close contact with anyone outside their immediate household.
To find out more about the response to COVID-19 in NC, visit nc.gov/covid19. Additional data is posted on the NC COVID-19 Dashboard at covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard.