Colerain shooting nets two arrests

Published 5:59 pm Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

COLERAIN – A Bertie County man is expected to make a full recovery and two men have been arrested following an afternoon shooting on January 7 on Meadow Road.

Bertie County Sheriff John Holley said his office received a call around 3:58-4 pm that Tuesday of a report of a man with a gunshot wound on Meadow Road.

According to witnesses, the shooting took place in a vehicle and an identification was made of the shooter.

The victim received head wounds after being shot in the face and neck and was transported by Bertie County EMS first to Vidant Roanoke-Chowan Hospital in Ahoskie and later to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville.

He was later identified as 26-year-old Jarrell Sessoms of 114 Pioneer Avenue in Colerain, and Holley says he is expected to make a full recovery from his wounds.

Meanwhile, after the deputies interviewed witnesses, two suspects emerged and were identified to have reportedly left the scene of the shooting in a Chrysler 300 headed towards Midway on Perrytown Road.

Less than an hour after receiving the call, deputies arrested 23-year-old Raquon Hayes of 720 Meadow Road in Colerain and his brother, 30-year-old Deontra Hayes of the same residence.

Holley says both suspects were taken into custody without incident at a trailer park at Midway near the old Taylor’s Store.

Raquon Hayes has been charged with two felonies: assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, and attempted murder. He was also cited for the misdemeanor of discharging a firearm into a vehicle.

Deontra Hayes has been charged with one count of attempted murder.

Both men were taken to the Bertie Martin Regional Jail in Windsor and made their first court appearance on Wednesday January 8. Bond was set at $300,000 for both suspects.

“I’m glad it was no worse,” said Holley. “Our deputies moved quickly to make an arrest and the victim is expected to make a full recovery.”

Assisting in the investigation were Major Matt Roebuck, Lt. Martin Phelps, Sgt. Harris Williams, Detective Ronald Rascoe and Detective Barmer, along with Deputy Greg Atkins, who made the original contact.