Burn victim hospitalized

Published 10:54 am Tuesday, July 24, 2018

KELFORD – A Kelford man is at the Jaycees Burn Center, UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill after suffering serious burns to his body while attempting to light an outdoor barbecue grill.

According to Bertie County Emergency Services Director Mitch Cooper, Bertie EMS received a call around 3:45 p.m. Saturday that a 46-year-old male had suffered second and third degree burns over his extremities.

Cooper reports EMS personnel were on the scene within minutes and after determining the seriousness of the burns, sent for an Air Care helicopter to transport the victim to Chapel Hill.

The victim was taken by ambulance to West Bertie Elementary School for the flight to the burn center within 30 minutes of the original call.

The man’s injuries are considered serious, but non-life threatening, and as of Monday evening an update on his condition is unknown.

The victim – as yet unnamed – told the first responders he had been attempting to light a barbecue grill when there was a tremendous explosion.