• 72°

Matthew Recovery Center opens

RALEIGH – Three new Hurricane Matthew Housing Recovery Application Centers opened today (Thursday, June 28) to help hurricane survivors whose homes were damaged by the devastating storm and Tropical Storm Julia, in September and October 2016.

The new ReBuild NC Application Center located in Windsor will join four existing centers in Fayetteville, Tarboro, Lumberton and Goldsboro to help people apply for financial help to repair or rebuild their homes.

Two other centers opening June 28 include Fair Bluff in Columbus County and Kinston in Lenoir County.

“Naturally, we’re glad to be one of the host communities to serve the surrounding area,” said Bertie County Manager Scott Sauer.

The Bertie Application Center’s location is 1001 South King Street in Windsor, in the old CADA Building. Hours of operation are 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays; 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays; and 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. on Saturdays.

Hurricane Matthew caused an estimated $4.8 billion in damage to North Carolina, damaging nearly 100,000 homes. So far, more than $650 million has been spent on Hurricane Matthew recovery.

Many of the homeowners and businesses in Bertie County have already filled out applications for assistance and aid. For them, this will not be a repeat.

“They will not have to go through this lengthy process all over again,” added Sauer. “The state has really made a push to make certain if there were any situations not identified or circumstances that just didn’t allow people to go through the registration during the initial intake that they will have an opportunity to apply for these programs.”

The help with housing repairs, homeowner reimbursement and other housing-related issues is made possible by North Carolina’s Community Development Block Grant – Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR) program which is funded by the federal government through U.S. Housing and Urban Development. This recovery help is in addition to more than $650 million already spent on Hurricane Matthew recovery in North Carolina.

“While hundreds of North Carolinians have gotten help recovering from Hurricane Matthew, we believe there are others who have yet to apply for help,” Governor Roy Cooper said. “I urge survivors with homes damaged by Matthew to reach out for help today by calling 2-1-1. Even if you’ve already repaired your home, you may be able to get money back.”

How to Apply for Help

The first step in the process is calling 2-1-1 to set up an appointment at an application center. At the appointment, housing recovery specialists will guide disaster survivors through completing the full application. State officials recommend that applicants should expect to spend two hours completing their application during the appointment.

People who have already applied for the CDBG-DR program do not need to reapply, although they may check on the status of their application by calling 2-1-1. People who have been accepted into the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) do not need to reapply.

People who live in any of the 22 counties eligible for CDBG-DR funds may make an appointment to apply at any ReBuild NC Application Center. The following counties are eligible: Beaufort, Bertie, Bladen, Carteret, Columbus, Craven, Cumberland, Duplin, Edgecombe, Greene, Hyde, Jones, Lenoir, Martin, Nash, Pamlico, Pender, Pitt, Robeson, Tyrell, Wayne and Wilson.

Types of Assistance

Single-family home repair;

Single family home reconstruction;

Reimbursement for housing repair (get money back for repairs already made);

Home buyout;

Mobile homeowners can apply for home repair programs and home replacement;

Landlords with eight or fewer units can apply for small rental program assistance; and

Renters can apply for temporary rental assistance.

The state is also offering funding assistance to help repair or build affordable housing for low to moderate income renters in heavily impacted communities. Program description details are available online at www.rebuild.nc.gov/apply .

What to Bring

to an Appointment

Applicants are asked to bring required documents with them to their appointment, but are encouraged to begin the process even if they do not have all the required paperwork.

Required documents include: photo identification, proof of legal residency, proof they lived in the damaged residence at the time of Hurricane Matthew, any before and after pictures of the property (if available), a copy of a tax return or last three pay stubs for all adults who live in the home, copies of insurance payments received for the damaged property, copies of all other assistance received (FEMA, SBA, charity), and receipts and photos for any repairs already completed prior to application. Homeowners will also need to provide proof of ownership. Renters will also need to provide copy of their lease.

For the full checklist of documents to bring and more information on the application process, go to: www.rebuild.nc.gov.apply.

What Happens

to an Application

Applying is the first step toward getting housing recovery assistance. Once an applicant completes the application and provides all required documentation, the applicant’s file will be reviewed for eligibility. That review includes verifying the applicant’s income and residence, certifying the home is not in foreclosure, determining the total disaster assistance already provided, and reviewing receipts of repairs already completed.

The next steps include a federally required environmental inspection of the property and determining the grant amount to be awarded. At each step of the process, applicants will have an opportunity to learn the status of their application.

If Approved for Help

Once an application is approved and the grant amount determined, contractors are selected, construction agreements are finalized, and construction can begin. Once work is completed, a final walk-through is scheduled with the homeowner, contractor and members of the ReBuild staff.