Aulander youth drowns

Published 11:37 am Monday, June 25, 2018

NORFOLK, VA – What was supposed to be a beach vacation and late birthday present for an Aulander youth turned tragic here last weekend, then came to a sad ending when the young lad became a drowning victim.

The body of 12-year-old Davieon Craig Askew was recovered by Norfolk Fire and Rescue first-responders late Monday evening.

On Monday, Norfolk police spokesman Cpl. William Pickering said the department received a call at 8:50 p.m. that a body was seen floating near the pier. Pickering said police soon recovered the body.

“We wish we could’ve been able to bring him home and we could not,” said U.S. Coast Guard Captain Kevin Carroll told local news outlets. “We approach this not as agencies but as parents as well and try to look at this as if one of our own family members were out there.”

Davieon had been missing since Saturday when he disappeared into the surf at the Ocean View Fishing Pier in Norfolk.

According to a press release from Norfolk Fire and Rescue sent by a spokesman with the department, three children were frolicking in the surf when suddenly they all appeared to be in distress. Two of the youths were rescued by family members and others from onshore, but one – Davieon – was still missing as of Saturday night, the release said.

Family members believe the boy disappeared around 6:45 to 6:50 p.m., the release said, adding the incident occurred approximately 100 yards from the pier out into the bay.

According to published reports, Coast Guard Petty Officer Ronald Hodges said his agency was contacted at 7:05 p.m. Saturday by the Norfolk Police Department after reports that a young boy was last seen 100 yards off the beach near the pier, which is located at 414 W. Ocean View Ave.

The 7th grader was visiting Ocean View with his godmother and friends as a belated birthday celebration.

Norfolk Fire and Rescue led what began as a water rescue effort and were joined by US Coast Guard crews from Portsmouth and Little Creek (VA), as well as a helicopter from Elizabeth City. Virginia Marine Police and Department of Game and Inland Fisheries also assisted in the search, according to Hodges.

The search continued through the night, briefly suspended around 2:40 a.m., but was called off Sunday evening after the boy had not been found. The search was resumed early the next day.


According to family, Davieon was due to enroll at Bertie Middle School this fall. His funeral services will be held at the school at 3 p.m. on Wednesday, June 27.