Disaster Recovery Center opens Thursday in Winton

Published 5:13 pm Wednesday, November 16, 2016

WINTON – In its ongoing effort to assist Hertford County residents suffering property damage from Hurricane Matthew, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is opening a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) here today (Thursday).

According to Hertford County Manager Loria Williams, the DRC is a mobile unit that will be located in the parking lot adjacent to the new Hertford County Courthouse, 119 Justice Drive, Winton, off US 158 West.

The Winton DRC will only be open four days: Thursday, Friday and Saturday (Nov. 17-19); and Monday, Nov. 21. Hours of operation are 12 noon until 6 p.m. on Thursday; and 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. on Friday, Saturday and Monday. The DRC is not open on Sunday.

Those from Hertford County as well as any other local county – to include Bertie, Gates and Northampton, which like Hertford are federally declared disaster areas – with damage from Hurricane Matthew are urged to register with FEMA as they may be eligible for Individual Assistance.

Assistance may include grants for temporary housing, rental assistance and home repairs, and for other serious disaster-related needs, such as repairing or replacing damaged or destroyed personal property, and medical and dental expenses. Property owners and renters can apply.

Low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (www.sba.gov/disaster) may also be available to cover losses not fully compensated by insurance.

Residents should register with FEMA even if they have insurance, but only if their property was damaged by the floods or wind-driven damage. FEMA cannot duplicate insurance payments, but under-insured applicants may receive help after their insurance claims have been settled.

For flood insurance questions, call 800-621-3362 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. and select option 2. Call center staff we be available to assist with information regarding policies, offer technical flood guidance to aid in recovery and answer other flood insurance questions.

Residents are also encouraged to register with FEMA even if they registered for help from other agencies such as the American Red Cross, disaster-relief organizations, or community- or faith-based organizations.

Those registering in person, online, or by telephone will be required to supply FEMA officials with information such as Social Security number, address of the damaged home or apartment, description of the damage, information about insurance coverage, a current contact telephone number, an address where the applicant receives mail, and bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit of funds.

Other than in person, FEMA will accept applications online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov and by phone at 1-800-621-3362 or I I Y 800-462-7585.


About Cal Bryant

Cal Bryant, a 40-year veteran of the newspaper industry, serves as the Editor at Roanoke-Chowan Publications, publishers of the Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald, Gates County Index, and Front Porch Living magazine.

email author More by Cal