Fire damages home

Published 10:43 am Monday, February 8, 2016

POWELLSVILLE – A Powellsville woman escaped injury but her home received undetermined damages after an early evening blaze here Thursday.

According to Powellsville Fire Chief David Powell units from both the Powellsville and Trap Volunteer Fire Departments responded to an 8:20 p.m. call at 144 NC Hwy 42 in Powellsville.

Powell said the fire started at the electric stove in the kitchen area and quickly spread upward through the oven exhaust vent into the home’s attic crawl space.

The homeowner tried to extinguish the blaze with a small home fire extinguisher, but their efforts were not successful and the fire department was called.

Powellsville dispatched a pumper, a tanker, and an equipment truck, along with 14 volunteers to battle the blaze. Trap VFD sent an engine truck and six volunteers.

The firefighters said the heavy rains from the past few days – including Thursday night – along with quick action from their departments prevented extensive damage.

Powell says the fire was confined to the kitchen and a small area adjacent to that space.

Thanks to the quick actions of the firemen, the blaze was contained within one hour and Powell says he later returned to the scene to check there was no re-start.

In addition to loss suffered from the fire, the home also experienced smoke damage.