Fire claims life

Published 9:54 am Thursday, December 10, 2015

GATESVILLE – A fire that claimed the life of a Gatesville apparently began as the victim was cooking in her kitchen.

Gates County emergency response officials said 68-year-old Bertha Lee Dilday died Friday night at her home located at 862 US 158 Bypass.

Gatesville Fire Chief Nathan Eure said the single story brick home was showing fire through the roof upon the arrival of the firefighters.

Eure said he believed the fire started in the kitchen. He added the victim, who was alone in the home at the time of the fire, was found in the den.

A total of 30 firefighters and 10 units from the Gatesville, Eure and Gates fire departments responded to the scene. Also responding was the Gates County Sheriff’s Office and Gates County EMS.

Eure said the Gatesville firefighters were on the scene for five hours.

Captain Glynda Parker of the Gates County Sheriff’s Office said it appears the fire began at the cook stove in the kitchen. She added that the victim was perhaps overcome with smoke and was physically unable to escape the burning home.

About Cal Bryant

Cal Bryant, a 40-year veteran of the newspaper industry, serves as the Editor at Roanoke-Chowan Publications, publishers of the Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald, Gates County Index, and Front Porch Living magazine.

email author More by Cal