What’s in a name?
Published 4:20 pm Saturday, May 9, 2015
WINTON – Road names are commonplace across America, dotting the landscape in rural and municipal areas.
In Hertford County, the traveling public as well as local residents will soon see a change in road names on three stretches of two-lane asphalt.
At a recent meeting, the Hertford County Board of Commissioners, after weighing input from its citizens, voted to switch Mt. Tabor Church Road from the south side of the newly opened US 158 four-lane highway to the north side as well as agreeing to name one particular stretch of the old US 158 at Mapleton in honor of a late businessman.
One public hearing was previously held concerning Mt. Tabor Church Road (State Road 1176), which runs from Tom Browne Road to its intersection with US 158. Prior to the four-lane improvement project, US 158 passed in front of Mt.Tabor Church. That is no longer the case as designers for the new road opted to build a new four-lane stretch (and a new bridge spanning the Potecasi Creek) south of the historic church.
At a recent meeting, the Commissioners held another public hearing on the possibility of changing Mt. Tabor Church Road to the stretch of the old US 158 (which now dead-ends) that passes in front of the church. The public hearing also included renaming the current Mt. Tabor Church Road to Tall Cotton Road.
Letters were sent from the county to property owners on those roads, advising them of the public hearing.
“We did not receive any comments, negative or positive,” said Hertford County Manager Loria Williams.
The Board voted to rename the existing Mt. Tabor Church Road as Tall Cotton Road.
By ordinance, Mt. Tabor Church Road’s name was transferred to the section of the old US 158 that passes in front of the church. That road will carry two names – East Mt. Tabor Church Road (covering approximately 2,881 feet from the intersection of the old US Highway 158 in the 800 block, east into the 700 block, specifically ending at the cul-de-sac just before the old bridge over the Potecasi Creek; and West Mt. Tabor Church Road (covering 353 feet from the intersection of the new access road to the 800 block of the old US 158 West, specifically ending just beyond the property listed to Selma Majette).
Another part of the approved ordinance gives a name to the old stretch of US 158 (replaced by a new section of four-lane highway) in the Mapleton community. Residents there petitioned the CountyCommissioners to name that as the Tellie Lawrence Road. Lawrence, now deceased, was known as “Mr. Cook” by residents of the Mapleton community. He owned a convenience store there, allowing community members to purchase items on credit.
“Mr. Cook was often the difference between a family eating a well-balanced meal or going hungry,” the petition (signed by 44 individuals) read.
The Commissioners honored that petition and voted to name that old portion of US 158 as West Tellie Lawrence Road and East Tellie Lawrence Road. The west section (approx. 1,681 feet) begins at the intersection of Mapleton Road in the 1100 block of US 158, west into the 1200 block, specifically ending just beyond the property known as the Darden Cemetery. The east section (approx. 3,060 feet) begins at the intersection of Mapleton Road in the 1100 block of US 158, east into the 1000 block, specifically ending at the cul-de-sac just before the property listed to Amy Parks.