Bertie DRC opens next week

Published 9:22 am Thursday, September 22, 2011

WINDSOR – A Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) will open in Windsor Monday afternoon.

Officials with Bertie County Emergency Management announced that FEMA is planning to open the DRC at 12 noon Monday, Sept. 26 at the Council on Aging Gym. The building is located at 103 W. School Street.

The Center will open at 12 noon on Monday. Hours of operation for the site have not been announced, but the state is planning to have all DRC’s open from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday, according to a press release from the Federal Emergency Management Agency Office.

While the Center will be open in Windsor as of Monday, FEMA officials have continued to suggest that those needing assistance register now.

Registration for FEMA assistance online is available at The telephone line is 800-621-FEMA.

When applying for assistance, those who have suffered damage from Hurricane Irene will need the following information:

  • The address of the damaged home or apartment;
  • Names of people living in the household;
  • Insurance information;
  • Description of damage;
  • Social Security number;
  • Telephone number; and
  • Bank account number if disaster assistance funds are to be sent directly to the bank.

“When you apply you will be given a FEMA application number,” Interim Bertie Emergency Management Coordinator Misty Deanes said. “Write down your application number and save it for future reference. You will need the application number whenever you contact FEMA.”

If applicants preregister, they will receive a claim number that can be taken to the DRC.

In addition, according to a press release from Northampton County, the Disaster Recovery Center, located at the Cultural and Wellness Center, 9536 NC 305 North, will open at 12 noon on Thursday.

Both DRCs will host representatives from FEMA, North Carolina Emergency Management and other agencies to provide information to those affected by Hurricane Irene on assistance programs and help individuals apply for disaster aid.