Christmas morning fire destroys home

Published 10:38 am Wednesday, December 29, 2010

CORAPEAKE – Christmas morning is a special time for the young, and the young at heart.

But imagine waking up, not to the sounds of Santa and his reindeer, rather to the smell of smoke.

A family in Gates County lost their home and belongings in a residential fire shortly past midnight on Dec. 25.

Gates County Emergency Management Director Billy Winn reported that a family of five – husband, wife and three children – managed to escape the flames at their wood-frame home located on Thicket Road off NC 32 in the Corapeake community.

“The father received minor burns and was treated on the scene by Gates County EMS,” Winn said, adding that the man was not transported to the hospital.

Winn said the fire was caused by an electric heater that ignited a blanket.

Sunbury Fire Department (Stations 1 and 2) responded to the blaze, as did Gates Volunteer Fire Department. Winn said the home was fully engulfed upon the firemen’s arrival.

Gates County EMS and Gates County Sheriff’s deputies were also on the scene.

Winn said the American Red Cross was contacted to help the family find temporary housing.

About Cal Bryant

Cal Bryant, a 40-year veteran of the newspaper industry, serves as the Editor at Roanoke-Chowan Publications, publishers of the Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald, Gates County Index, and Front Porch Living magazine.

email author More by Cal