Roofing repairs approved
POWELLSVILLE – The roof on the C.G. White School property here will soon be replaced.
During last week’s meeting of the Bertie County Board of Education, a bid was approved to start the work.
D. Thomas Roofing Company of Wilmington had the lowest of three bids for the job. They will replace the roof with a Duro-Last Roofing system at a cost of $27,300.
The installation includes removing water and loose debris, removing and replacing the rotten wood, investigating bad fascia, repair and install Medium Bronze Aluminum cover, installing a three-eighths inch recovery board, and the installation of the roof.
The roof will have a 15-year warranty and the workmanship will be covered for five years.
Board members have discussed the need for replacing the roof on the facility for a number of months, but temporarily halted the work when the school was closed this summer. The board currently has no plans to reopen the facility.
The board agreed to pay half of the contract price ($13,660) at the contract signing and the other half after completion of the work.
Board member Pamela Chamblee made the motion to accept the contract and it passed with by a unanimous vote.
In other business, the board:
- approved the updating of several policies as presented from Board Attorney Rod Malone;
- tabled a policy dealing with public use of the new weight room facility at Bertie High School;
- approved the Race to the Top Application;
- asked for more information about dress down days which were being observed at some schools; and
- agreed to pay dues for the Roanoke River Valley Education Consortium membership.