Northeast football advances

Published 12:22 am Saturday, October 30, 2010

LASKER – Northeast Academy moved on to the second round of the North Carolina Independent School Athletic Association eight-man playoffs here last night (Friday).

The Eagles scored less than a minutes into the contest and rolled to a 70-32 win over St. David’s School.

Northeast took the opening kickoff and only two plays later found paydirt. On the opening play from scrimmage, Justin Francis picked up three yards.

The next play saw quarterback Davis Harrell call his own number as he scampered 67 yards to paydirt for the first score. The two-point conversion failed, but Northeast led 6-0 with 11:16 to play in the first quarter.

St. David’s wasted little time getting in the endzone themselves. After an attempted onsides kick failed, the Warriors took possession at the Northeast 39-yardline.

One play later, Matthew Conner covered that distance to score. The conversion failed, but the game was tied at 6-all with 11 minutes still remaining.

The fireworks didn’t stop there.

On the next possession, the Eagles scored on just two plays for the second time. Francis picked up five yards on first down and then Harrell connected with James Pope on a 63-yard scoring pass. The conversion failed, but Northeast led 12-6 with a whopping 10:11 still left on the first quarter clock.

St. David again came back with an answer.

The Warriors set up shop on their own 35-yardline and drove 65 yards on five plays to tie the game. Jarrett Whitworth covered the final 40 yards for the score. The extra point attempt was blocked by Northeast and the game remained tied at 12-all with 8:11 to play.

Northeast scored again on the second play of their ensuing drive.

Pope took the handoff on the second play and scampered 60 yards to paydirt. Harrell then added the two-point conversion to give Northeast a 20-12 lead with 7:42 to play.

Things broke for the Eagles on the next drive when Ryan Williams picked off a St. David’s pass. That gave Northeast possession at the St. David 25-yardline.

On the next play, Harrell had a 25-yard jaunt to the endzone with 6:27 to play. The conversion pass failed, but Northeast led 26-12.

St. David’s turned the ball over on downs during their next drive and again the Eagles took advantage. Francis picked up six yards on the first play from scrimmage and then Harrell raced the remaining 54 yards to paydirt on the next play. Harrell added the conversion himself and Northeast led 34-12 with 1:15 still to play in the first quarter.

That score stood through the first half as the Eagles went into the locker room with a 22-point edge.

When the Eagles emerged from the locker room, they had a surprise for the fans as they changed to their black uniforms.

The new uniforms worked just as well as Northeast scored on their first play from scrimmage after forcing a Warrior punt.

Harrell connected with Pope on a 46-yard scoring pass and then ran the conversion in himself to give Northeast a 42-12 lead with 9:36 to play in the third quarter.

As it had been in the first quarter, the scoring came fast and furious in the third period.

St. David’s answered on a 15-yard run by Whitworth. The conversion failed, but the Warriors were within 42-18.

Northeast came right back when, after recovering an onsides kick at midfield, Harrell scampered 50 yards for the score on the first play from scrimmage. Francis added the conversion and Northeast led 50-18 with 6:28 to play.

St. David’s came back again, this time scoring on an eight-yard run by Whitworth. The extra point was good and the Warriors closed to within 50-25.

The Eagles added two more scores in the third period, however. Harrell had a 35-yard run and Francis scored from 40 yards out. Harrell added one of the conversions and Northeast took a 64-25 lead into the fourth quarter.

Each team had one score in the fourth quarter. Northeast got a touchdown from backup quarterback Brad Johnson, who scored on a three-yard plunge. The conversion failed and Northeast led 70-25.

The Warriors then scored with 48 seconds to play on a pass from Alex Caro as they established the 70-32 final.

Next week, the Eagles will travel to Cary Christian School for the semifinals of the eight-man playoffs.

(By Tommy Bryant, Sports Writer)