Home Invasion sentences handed down
Published 7:57 am Saturday, July 24, 2010
PENDLETON—Justice has been handed down in a violent home invasion that occurred near here almost three years ago.
Last week, Antonio Freeman, Karon Moses, Jamal Thomas and Coatney Williams were sentenced for the crime that occurred December 29, 2007.
According to Northampton County Sheriff’s Detective Lt. Brenda Burnette, three of the men (Freeman, Moses and Thomas) took plea deals while Williams was tried and convicted by a jury.
Burnette said Freeman, Moses and Thomas’s sentences were held back until after Williams’ trial could take place. Superior Court Judge Alma Hinton handed down the sentences.
Freeman is facing a minimum total of 21 years and maximum total of 27 years behind bars for three charges.
Burnette said Freeman pled guilty to first degree burglary, which he was given a minimum of 77 months and a maximum of 102 months. He also pled guilty to second degree sexual offense, which he received a minimum of 100 months and a maximum of 129 months, and armed robbery in which he was given a minimum of 77 months and a maximum of 102 months.
Moses is facing a minimum total of 12 years and a maximum total of 17 years for three charges.
Burnette said Moses pled guilty to first degree burglary and robbery with a dangerous weapon, which he was given a minimum of 61 months and a maximum of 83 months for each charge. Moses also entered a guilty plea to assault with a deadly weapon with the intent to kill for which he was given a minimum of 25 months and a maximum of 39 months.
Thomas is facing a minimum total of 10 years and a maximum total of 14 years for two charges.
Burnette said Thomas pled guilty to robbery with a dangerous weapon and first degree burglary, which each carried a sentence of a minimum of 64 months and a maximum of 86 months.
Williams, who opted for a jury trial, is facing a minimum total of 42 years and a maximum total of 53 years behind bars.
Burnette said Williams was convicted of attempted first degree murder, which he was sentenced to a minimum of 254 months and a maximum of 311 months.
He was also found guilty of robbery with a dangerous weapon and first degree burglary; each carried a minimum of 117 months and a maximum of 150 months.
Burnette said Williams was also convicted of larceny of a fire arm and assault with a deadly weapon, and given a minimum of 11 months and a maximum of 14 months. Williams was also found guilty of larceny after breaking and entering and possession of stolen goods, which he was sentenced for a minimum of 11 months and a maximum of 14 months as well.
On the evening of December 29, 2010, the four men broke into a residence on Vaughan Creek Road.
A telephone line to the residence was cut before the intruders made entrance through the back door by shooting out the lock.
Once inside they found the female homeowner alone and held her at gun point. The men then stole several items from the home, including clothing, jewelry and cash.
Sometime during the home invasion the female victim’s teenage son along with his friend, a 17-year-old male, came home.
The woman’s teen son entered the home and called out his mother’s name. He was then met by one of the men, who told the teen to get out of the house.
Once leaving the home the teen yelled to his friend, who was waiting in a car, to run.
When the friend got out of the car, he was shot in the face and neck area with a shotgun. The 17-year-old’s injuries were not life threatening.
Freeman, Moses, Thomas and Williams were arrested nine months later on September 5 and 6, 2008. At that time of the arrests, all four were already behind bars in two local jails (Northampton and Halifax) for unrelated charges.
Burnette thanked those area law enforcement agencies who assisted her with investigating the case.
With the sentences being handed down, Burnette said she hoped the family could now have a conclusion to what happened.
“I think the family is pleased with the sentences and I hope the victims can get at least a little closure from this,” she said.