Shooting probe continues

Published 8:43 am Tuesday, May 25, 2010

AHOSKIE – Despite having the person behind bars believed to have pulled the trigger during a May 15 fatal shooting here, the Ahoskie Police have not slowed their investigation in the case.

Late Friday afternoon, Kendrick Kendale Jones, 26, of 647 Horton’s Church Road, Aulander, was arrested and charged in the shooting death of 19-year-old Ivan Jerome Coulton of Ahoskie.

Jones, who made his first court appearance yesterday (Monday) in Winton, is being held under no bond on the charge of first degree murder. He was also charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill and inciting a riot…those two carry a combined $1 million secured bond; possess, sell, buy, alter the serial number of a weapon ($25,000 secured bond) and go armed to the terror of people, a misdemeanor ($5,000 secured bond).

Over the weekend, there were unconfirmed reports that Jones was shot during the May 15 altercation that claimed Coulton’s life. Ahoskie Police Chief Troy Fitzhugh said on Monday that he heard that Jones may have been wounded, but was unable to confirm that information.

“We do not have any official reports of any other gunshot calls in Ahoskie during the early morning hours of Saturday, May 15,” Fitzhugh said. “However, we are currently investigating that possibility, it’s all part of our ongoing investigation into this case.”

Fitzhugh continued, “If there was another gunshot victim from that night, we’re not for sure at this time if that person was shot during the same altercation that claimed the life of Mr. Coulton or if it occurred at another location, possibly another town.”

Jones – who Fitzhugh said does not have a prior criminal record – is alleged to have shot and killed Coulton sometimes after midnight on Saturday, May 15. Coulton, a former Hertford County High School football standout who was on an athletic scholarship at North Carolina A&T State University in Greensboro, died later that morning after being transported to Pitt County Memorial Hospital in Greenville.

The shooting, which occurred in a lot off Catherine Street, took place following a disturbance at BJ’s, a nightclub located in the 200 block of East Main Street. Ahoskie Police officers were dispatched to the scene, where Fitzhugh said they found a large and unruly crowd, and shut the club down at 12:50 a.m. due to safety concerns.

Fitzhugh said that upon shutting the club down, officers then responded to a large crowd on First and Maple streets. From there they responded to a fight and gun shots being fired on Catherine Street where they found Coulton laying in a nearby lot.