Second suspect nabbed

Published 8:27 am Thursday, April 22, 2010

AHOSKIE – The second of two individuals alleged to have taken part in the March 28 armed robbery of an Ahoskie convenience store is now behind bars.

Ahoskie Police Chief Troy Fitzhugh reported the Wednesday morning arrest of 32-year-old Michael Devon Lee of 107 Holloman Ave.

Lee was charged by the Ahoskie Police with three felonies – robbery with a dangerous weapon, conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon – and two misdemeanors – assault by pointing a gun and communicating threats.

Additionally, the Ahoskie Police served Lee with two warrants, both misdemeanor charges, of violating parole. Those charges were lodged by the Hertford County Probation and Parole Office.

Lee’s total bond was set at $130,000 cash and he was placed in the Hertford County Jail where he awaits his first court date tomorrow (Friday).

Chief Fitzhugh said the arrest was made, without incident, at 9:51 a.m. at Lee’s residence. APD Sgt. Andres Snape made the arrest.

“It was through the investigation where we received several leads that we were able to capitalize on and make this arrest,” Fitzhugh said. “I thank my officers for following up on these leads and making the arrest.”

The initial arrest in the case was made on April 8 when Ahoskie Police took 23-year-old Sheena Yvette Lyles of 301 North Pembroke Ave. into custody.

Lyles was charged with conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon and larceny by an employee. She was jailed under a $25,000 secured bond.

Fitzhugh said Lyles was one of two clerks working at the Duck-Thru Convenience Store, located on North Academy Street, on the night of the robbery. He added that Lee was an immediate suspect in the case, but was not at home when officers originally went to his residence on the same day of Lyles’ arrest.

The crime was reported shortly before the store closed at 10 p.m. on March 28. There it is believed Lee entered the store brandishing a handgun. He approached the checkout counter where one of the clerks was standing on the customer’s side of the counter while the other clerk was at the cash register. At that point he grabbed the clerk standing on his side of the counter by the hair and then demanded money from the clerk at the register.

An undetermined amount of cash was taken.