Fuel spill closes Ahoskie streets
Published 10:58 am Thursday, January 14, 2010
AHOSKIE – Officials here took no chances after a hydraulic fuel leak Wednesday morning.
According to Ahoskie Fire Chief Ken Dilday, a garbage truck own by GDS cut a hydraulic line while traveling on Catherine Creek Road and continuing to Main Street.
The spill caused the fire department to close the two streets from Church Street to Lloyd Street. Dilday said the streets being closed was a precautionary measure.
“The hydraulic fuel could cause accidents,” the chief said. “It wouldn’t cause any problems if it got on someone’s skin, but because of the accident scenario, we closed the road to be safe.”
Dilday said there were no accidents due to the fluid, but that one vehicle slid before the road was closed.
The North Carolina Department of Transportation put sand down on the road to aborb the fuel, though Dilday said one spot was puddle and would have to be cleaned up manually.
The chief said the accident presented no threat to drinking water or the sewer system.
“There are no drains for it to get into and is all contained in one area,” Dilday stressed. “Everything will be fine.”
The streets remained closed for approximately three hours before being reopened to the public.