Bears beat Jamesville

Published 9:25 am Tuesday, April 14, 2009

JAMESVILLE – They were the host.

They were the top-ranked team in their division.

They were expected to win.

Unfortunately, for Easter tournament host Jamesville High School, Hertford County High didn’t get that memo.

The Bears opened up a tight game with five runs in the top of the fifth and defeated Jamesville 7-1 Saturday night.

“This was a huge win,” said HCHS skipper Chris Towell. “Jamesville was ranked number one in the state in the 1-A ranks.

“It was a pitcher’s duel, but we finally scored five runs in the fifth inning,” he added. “This win should give us some confidence.”

The Bears opened the scoring with one run in the top of the first inning.

Travis Ellis was hit by a pitch and stole second and third. He came around to score on a wild pitch that gave HCHS an early lead.

Jamesville responded with a run in the bottom of the second inning that tied the game.

Hertford County took the lead for good with five runs in the top of the fifth frame.

Tyler Pryor started the fireworks with a solo homer to left. Grayson Toms and Donovan Vinson drew a pair of walks sandwiched around a Richard Burns single to load the bases.

When Edward Joyner drew a bases-loaded walk, it gave the Bears a 3-1 advantage. Burns and Vinson then scored on a two-run double by Brandon Warren.

Joyner scored on a wild pitch to stake the Bears to a 6-1 lead after five innings.

HCHS plated the final run of the game in the top of the seventh inning when Joyner, Warren and Mitchell Godwin had consecutive singles to load the bases. Joyner scored on a Monterio Hunter sacrifice fly to make it 7-1.

Warren tossed a three-hit gem, going all seven innings for the victory. He struck out 15 and improved to 5-2 for the season.

Hertford County had nine hits during the contests led by Burns, Warren, Joyner and Godwin with two each. Pryor added one hit.

Hertford County improved to 8-7 overall with the win and was to meet archrival Bertie High School last night (Monday) in a semifinal contest. The Falcons advanced by beating Columbia High School 18-2.