Big second half sparks NEA

Published 12:37 pm Monday, September 29, 2008

LASKER -The only thing certain before the start of the Northeast Academy game against Rocky Mount Academy was that the Eagles would win.

It was midway through the third quarter before it was clear just which Eagles team would emerge with the victory. Northeast stepped it up in the second half, outscoring Rocky Mount 37-6 as the home team took a 61-34 victory.

Northeast amassed 755 yards, all of it on the ground, as the host team rushed for 627 yards and had 126 return yards, including a 75-yard punt return by senior Hunter Deloatch for a touchdown.

Brandon Futrell carried the ball 21 times for 285 yards and three scores. Sophomore quarterback Davis Harrell added 187 yards on 13 carries with two touchdowns. Deloatch ended the game with 118 rushing yards and one score.

Northeast scored on their first possession of the ballgame, driving 65 yards on seven plays. Futrell broke free from the defense and sprinted the final 28 yards to paydirt for the 6-0 lead. D. Harrell carried in the conversion for Northeast.

Rocky Mount wasted no time answering. After making small gains quarterback Creighton Hayworth connected with Frederick Frohbose for 32 yards, setting the ball up on the Northeast six-yardline. Brandon Robertson was stopped short of the end zone by Hall Edwards but Hayworth broke through on the quarterback sneak for the score. Robertson’s conversion run was good, tying the game at eight with six minutes remaining in the first quarter.

At the beginning of the second quarter Northeast’s defense forced Rocky Mount to turn the ball over on downs and the home team set up on their own 28. A holding call against Northeast moved the ball back to the 18, but Futrell ran over and through the defense for 24 yards and a first down.

Arch Harrell moved the ball five yards before D. Harrell faked out the defense on the quarterback keep, bursting up the middle and racing 53 yards for the score. A. Harrell muscled in the conversion as Northeast took the lead, 16-8.

Again Rocky Mount came right back, scoring four minutes later as Hayworth’s one-yard run capped off an eight-play, 53-yard drive. Deloatch stopped Robertson on the conversion running, keeping Northeast ahead 16-14.

Three plays later Robertson recovered a Northeast fumble and the visitors took advantage.

Hayworth connected with Lee Whitley for 36 yards. After a gain of six, Hayworth ran untouched into the endzone to give Rocky Mount the lead. Whitley carried in the conversion for a 22-16 Rocky Mount advantage.

The lead lasted just over three minutes as A. Harrell’s one-yard scoring run capped off a 13-play drive. D. Harrell’s pass to Zach Mize gave Northeast a 24-22 lead with just 17 seconds remaining in the first half.

That was all it took for Rocky Mount to score as Whitley caught Hayworth’s pass for 49 yards and the score as time expired. A. Harrell stopped Hayworth on the conversion run, but Rocky Mount had regained the lead at 28-24.

A different Northeast team took the field in the third quarter and the defense forced Rocky Mount to go three-and-out. Deloatch, aided by a block from Mize, returned Hayworth’s punt 75 yards for the score. The conversion failed, but Northeast had taken over the lead 30-28.

The lead was temporary. Hayworth passed over the middle to a wide open

Frohbose for a 17-yard score. The conversion run failed, but the visitors had moved out front, 34-30.

That would be the last time Rocky Mount would find the endzone.

Northeast scored on their next possession as D. Harrell ran 55 yards up the left side for the score. A. Harrell ran untouched up the middle for the conversion and a 38-34 Northeast advantage.

After forcing Rocky Mount to turn the ball over on downs Futrell ran 58 yards for the score. A. Harrell’s conversion run was good.

Rocky Mount tried to mount a drive but Hayworth’s pass was picked off by Edwards. Seven plays later Futrell high-stepped it 26 yards to the endzone. D. Harrell connected with Mize for the conversion as Northeast stretched their lead, 54-34.

On their next possession Northeast again wore down the Rocky Mount offense. Deloatch forced a fumble, which was recovered by Edwards and again Northeast turned the Rocky Mount miscue into a score. This time it was Deloatch who ran past the sluggish defensive line for the 52-yard score. D. Harrell’s extra point kick sailed through the uprights as Northeast took the 61-34 victory.

The win improves Northeast to 5-1 on the season. They will host Parrott Academy next Friday night.