Wood escapes

Published 12:00 am Thursday, July 31, 2008

WINDSOR – A Bertie County man sentenced Tuesday in Superior Court escaped Wednesday afternoon.

Danyashi Terrell Wood, 28, was sentenced to 93-121 months in prison for assault with a deadly weapon, assault on a government officer, resist, delay and obstruct, being a habitual felon and driving while licensed revoked.

Wednesday, Wood escaped from the Bertie-Martin Regional Jail, allegedly stole a maintenance truck from Bertie County Schools and then later fled in another vehicle.

Wood’s escape was reported to the Bertie County Sheriff’s Office at approximately 3 p.m. Sheriff Greg Atkins said his department immediately began the search and has notified neighboring law enforcement agencies.

Bertie County Schools Public Information Officer Brent Todd confirmed a vehicle had been stolen from the district’s maintenance department, but had been recovered at the end of County Farm Road at the Duck Thru. The maintenance department is located near Bertie-Martin Regional Jail, both on County Farm Road.

It is believed that Wood is now a passenger in a purple or dark blue older model Ford Explorer with brown or gray trim. The driver of the vehicle is unknown, but there was a female passenger in the SUV.

He is described as a black male with light to medium complexion and a pony tail. He is approximately 5’9” tall and weighs 160 pounds. He has black hair and brown eyes.

Atkins said Wood should be considered armed and dangerous and asked that anyone with information as to the escapee’s whereabouts to call the Bertie County Sheriff’s Office at 794-5330.

“I feel like we’ll catch him, it’s just a matter of time,” Atkins said.

Wood has a long history of attempting to escape the long arm of the law.

On Aug. 30, 2004, Wood assaulted then Aulander Police Chief Jimmy Barmer. That assault led to the charges from which Wood was sentenced on Tuesday.

After that incident, Wood remained at-large until his arrest in Murfreesboro on Feb. 26, 2006. He was jailed, but made bond.

On Oct. 2, 2006, Wood made a scheduled court date in Bertie County Superior Court. However, he failed to return following a court recess.

Wood didn’t surface again until December of last year at which time he was arrested in Richmond, Va. From there he was returned to Bertie County on Dec. 10 where he has been incarcerated in the Bertie-Martin Regional Jail until his Wednesday escape.