Spark causes Lewiston fire

Published 12:00 am Saturday, June 28, 2008

LEWISTON – A fire broke out here late Wednesday afternoon, but was quickly contained to one vacant building.

According to Lewiston-Woodville Fire Chief Larry Mizelle, workers were cleaning up on the grounds of the old Evans’ Lumberyard, located on NC 308, when sparks from a cutting torch apparently caused a wooden structure to catch fire.

&uot;Some of the sparks must have gotten into something and they didn’t know it… it was old dead wood in a partially destroyed outbuilding,&uot; Mizelle stated.

The fire demolished the empty structure, but caused no other harm as it did not spread due to the concrete under the building.

No injuries and no other property damages were reported.