Fire injures three

Published 12:00 am Monday, June 16, 2008

AHOSKIE – Two people received minor burns, including a five-month-old child, and one Ahoskie firefighter was injured during a blaze that totally destroyed a residence here Saturday night.

The names of those burned or the injured firefighter were not released.

According to Ahoskie Rural Fire Chief George Bradley, his department sent four units and 14 men to the blaze located at 104 VIP Road off the Ahoskie-Cofield Road. Upon their arrival, the house was fully engulfed.

“We believe that the father of the child got the baby out of the house before the flames got too bad,” Bradley said. “Both received minor burns and the baby also was a victim of smoke inhalation.”

Bradley went on to say that both victims were treated and released from Roanoke-Chowan Hospital.

Meanwhile, one Ahoskie volunteer firefighter suffered bruised ribs while battling the blaze.

According to Bradley, the fire was so intense and so close to nearby homes, he opted to summon the Winton Volunteer Fire Department for assistance. They responded with three units and nine firefighters.

“The home next door (106 VIP Road) received some damage due to the intensity of the fire,” Bradley said. “That house nearly caught on fire.”

Bradley said the home at 104 VIP Road, a single-story structure, was a total loss.

He stated it was owned by Vodie Pillmon and rented by Linda Jordan.

“We got some assistance for those living in the house by calling Mr. Gilbert Vaughan, the local guy here for the Salvation Army,” Bradley said. “The family lost everything they had.”

Bradley added that the Salvation Armey paid for the family to be housed at the Tomahawk Motel in Ahoskie for a few nights.

He said it appeared a candle left burning in the home caused the fire.

Ahoskie Rural Fire units and personnel remained on the scene until 12:30 a.m. on Sunday.

Bradley thanked the assistance of the Winton Fire Department as well as the Ahoskie Police Department and North Carolina Highway Patrol for traffic control. A portion of the Ahoskie-Cofield Road was closed for approximately two hours due to the fire.