Lawrence can#8217;t get by Hurricanes

Published 12:00 am Friday, November 30, 2007

MERRY HILL – Close, but not enough.

That aptly described the ending of the boy’s basketball game here Wednesday night.

Cape Hatteras High School triumphed over Lawrence Academy 40-37 in what was a close contest throughout most of the game.

The Warriors put up a good fight, but despite taking the lead twice and also tying the game twice, the Hurricanes still managed to take the win.

After the first two minutes of the game started scoreless, Cape Hatteras took the early lead at 4-0 by making two in a row.

Lawrence answered with two baskets of their own from Holden Ratzlaff and Shane Stevens, tying the score at 4-all.

Stevens further contributed by putting up a trey, which was answered with a bucket from Hatteras’ Christian Stowe.

Lawrence’s R.J. Deppisch then made one-of-two free throws to increase his team’s lead to two (8-6) at the end of the first quarter.

Bryan Ballance led off the second quarter for the Hurricanes by putting up a basket that tied the score at 8-8.

Warriors’ leading scorer Daniel Oliver put his team back in the lead (10-8) with a deuce, but it was the last time they would lead for the remainder of the affair.

The Hurricanes outscored Lawrence 23-12 in the next 12 minutes, putting them ahead 31-22 at the end of the third quarter.

The Warriors staged a good comeback attempt in the fourth quarter, but it wasn’t enough.

Hatteras led out with a basket from Stowe, but Lawrence answered with consecutive buckets from Oliver and Dillon Ralph. Oliver then added two free throws to narrow the Hurricane’s lead to five (33-28).

Stowe put up a bucket but Lawrence answered with a trey from Oliver, making it 35-31 Hatteras.

Stowe and Lawrence’s Joe Harrell then traded baskets, and Oliver added another for the Warriors to get his team within two at 37-35.

The Warriors couldn’t get closer than that, though, as Ballance made two foul shots with 22 seconds left on the clock, giving the Hurricanes a greater lead with 39-35.

Lawrence managed to sink one more from Ratzlaff to again get them within two (39-37) but it wasn’t enough for the win.

Stowe made one free throw with less than a second on the clock and the Warriors got the rebound, but with so little time left on the clock had no choice but to attempt a full-court shot after getting the rebound, and the Hurricanes triumphed with a final of 40-37.

Lawrence second-year assistant coach Michael Ratzlaff said he was pleased with the boys’ performance defensively, but saw some definite areas that needed improving

&uot;If our shots would have fallen, we would have had a better chance. We didn’t shoot as well as normal, but we played decent defense,&uot; Ratzlaff stated.

He went on, &uot;The boys haven’t had a lot of time to learn, but from what little time they have had they are learning quickly, doing a good job, and playing more aggressively.&uot;

Head Coach Tommy Tripp was not present at the game due to his obligations as pastor of Bethany Baptist Church.

The loss put the Warriors at 1-1 for the season. They were scheduled to play in their first conference game Friday night at Northeast Academy, but results were not available as of press time Friday.

Cape Hatteras (40): Bryan Ballance – 20, Christian Stowe – 11, Ethan Farrow – 3, Will Evans – 2, Isaac Copes – 2, Acra Stryan – 2

Lawrence (37): Daniel Oliver – 14, Shane Stevens – 8, R.J. Deppisch – 4, Joe Harrell – 3, Chad Oliver – 2, T.J. Johnson – 2, Holden Ratzlaff – 2, Dillon Ralph – 2