Northeast rolls by RMA

Published 12:00 am Friday, November 2, 2007

LASKER – By the time Hall “H2H” Edwards scored the conversion run on Northeast’s eleventh touchdown of the night Rocky Mount Academy’s fate was sealed.

Northeast Academy (9-3) put on an offensive clinic as they handed the visitors a 78-28 loss in the opening round of the NCISAA playoffs last night (Friday).

Northeast posted 903 yards of total offense, including 695 rushing yards.

The win advances fourth seeded Northeast to the semi-finals where they will play top seed Trinity in Fayetteville next Friday.

Junior Brandon Futrell led the Eagles with 25 carries for 237 yards.

Hunter Deloatch added 185 yards on 10 carries while Arch Harrell rushed for 128.

The Eagles defense held Rocky Mount to 231 yards of total offense, 186 coming in the second half.

Deloatch broke through the defensive line for Northeast’s first score of the night, a 15 yard run.

The conversion failed as the Eagles led, 6-0.

Two plays later Deloatch dove between two Rocky Mount receivers to intercept Creighton Hayworth’s pass.

After driving downfield an Eagles fumble was recovered by Rocky Mount, but RMA was unable to take advantage, punting the ball away.

Less than 20 seconds into the second, Harrell scampered 10 yards for the score.

Quarterback John Pope carried in the conversion as Northeast took a 14-0 lead.

A fumble recovery by Zach Mize gave Northeast the ball on the Rocky Mount 48 yard line.

Three plays later Futrell streaked 36 yards for the score.

The conversion pass was incomplete as Northeast held a 20-0 advantage.

Five minutes later Deloatch took the ball 20 yards for the score.

Harrell walked in the conversion for a 28-0 lead.

Rocky Mount drove upfield but turned the ball over on downs with .26 left on the clock in the first half.

On first down Pope hit Deloatch with a 39 yard pass, moving the chains to the Rocky Mount 25.

Pope connected with Josh Jenkins for the 26 yard score with just .10 remaining.

Futrell carried in the conversion for a 36-0 lead at the half.

After holding Rocky Mount to 45 total yards in the first half, the Northeast defense struggled in the second.

On their first possession of the third quarter Rocky Mount moved 68 yards in 10 plays, capped off by a two-yard touchdown run by Brandon Robertson.

Creighton completed the conversion pass to Lee Whitley as Rocky Mount got on the board, trailing 36-8.

It took only four plays for Northeast to find the end zone again, this time a seven yard run by Harrell.

The conversion run failed as Northeast extended their lead, 42-8.

On the ensuing kickoff Harrell recovered the onside kick, his second of the night.

Harrell then rushed three times for 37 yards before Futrell capped off the drive with the six yard touchdown run.

Russ Flythe carried in the two-point conversion for a 50-8 Northeast advantage.

Rocky Mount wasn’t ready to throw in the towel, scoring on a four yard run by Robertson.

Hayworth ran in the conversion to cut into Northeast’s lead, 50-16, at the end of the third quarter.

The teams traded scores in the fourth with Northeast striking first, a three yard run by Futrell.

Wesley Bryant’s extra point kick sailed through the uprights.

Robertson took the kickoff 78 yards for the score.

The conversion failed, leaving Rocky Mount trailing, 57-22.

Deloatch returned Hayworth’s kickoff 63 yards.

Flythe took the ball the final 11 for the score.

Again Bryant’s kick was good.

Hayworth scored once more for Rocky Mount, a 55 yard run but it would be the last time the visitors would see the end zone.

After Futrell’s fourth touchdown run of the night junior Josh Rose recovered a Rocky Mount fumble.

Deloatch took the ball 53 yards for the score before Edwards conversion run gave Northeast a 78-28 victory.