Eagles win in unusual fashion

Published 12:00 am Friday, October 19, 2007

LASKER – Oak Ridge Military Academy’s team picked up their helmets and headed to the bus.

Nothing unusual about that, except the game wasn’t over.

Tailing 36-6 with 6:32 left in the second quarter of Northeast Academy’s homecoming game, the Cadets walked off the field and forfeited, leaving many people wondering why.

“I’ve never seen anything like this,” said Northeast Head Coach Collin Sneed.

“That shows no respect for the school.”

The forfeit came after Oak Ridge was flagged for a personal foul, their fifth penalty of the night.

Just one minute into the second quarter Jordan Hallow was ejected after being held back by teammates as he came after a Northeast player.

The Eagles were whistled for three penalties during the game.

Northeast dominated the visitors, scoring on all five of their possessions.

Junior Arch Harrell led the Eagles with 97 rushing yards on seven carries.

Russ Flythe added 68 yards on three carries and Brodie Harrell carried three times for 67 yards.

Oak Ridge struck first, scoring on a 21 yard run by Patrick Broadway with 9:50 remaining in the first quarter.

A failed conversion gave the visitors a 6-0 advantage.

On their first possession B.Harrell ran for 12 yards before A. Harrell went 36 yards on three plays.

B. Harrell ran in the final three yards for the score and A. Harrell carried the conversion as Northeast took an 8-6 lead.

The Eagles defense held Oak Ridge to three-and-out on their next possession.

Two plays later B. Harrell raced 52 yards to the endzone for the score.

Brandon Futrell scored the conversion.

After another three-and-out the Eagles took over on their own 26 yard line.

After two runs by Flythe that moved the chains 41 yards, A. Harrell raced up the left side for a gain of 23 yards.

Quarterback John Pope connected with Flythe for the nine yard score to cap the drive. The conversion failed as the Eagles extended their advantage, 22-6.

The Cadets tried to put together a drive, but were whistled for unsportsmanlike conduct, costing them 15 yards.

After a carry for no gain, Northeast’s Judd Smith intercepted Buck Blevin’s pass, returning it 35 yards to the Cadets 10 yard line.

On third and goal Futrell ran 14 yards for the score.

The conversion failed as the Eagles held a 28-6 lead at the end of the first.

The Cadets were forced to kick the ball away and Northeast was whistled for roughing the kicker, a 15-yard penalty that would give Oak Ridge back the ball.

In the ensuing melee Oak Ridge had a player ejected and was hit with a 15-yard penalty but kept possession of the ball.

They didn’t keep it long but did drive to Northeast’s nine yard line before senior John Michael Timberlake forced a fumble, which was recovered by the Eagle’s Wesley Bryant.

Northeast promptly took the ball upfield in four plays, including two runs by A.Harrell for 34 yards.

Flythe took Pope’s pass for 27 yards before rushing another 27 for the score.

B. Harrell’s conversion run was good, giving Northeast a 36-6 lead.

After downing the kickoff, Oak Ridge ran one play for a gain of one yard.

Before the next play they were flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct, then players started leaving the field as they forfeited the game.

The win gives Northeast, currently ranked fourth in NCISAA 8-man football, a 7-3 record.

They will host Lawrence Academy in their final regular season game next Friday night.