Warriors fall to champions

Published 12:00 am Friday, October 12, 2007

MERRY HILL – The defending North Carolina Independent School state champion made the trip from Raleigh to Merry Hill last night (Friday) to take on Lawrence Academy.

St. David’s School kept their undefeated season in tact with a 43-6 win against a physically over-matched, but scrappy, Lawrence team.

St. David’s found the endzone three times in the first quarter. With only two and a half minutes elapsed in the game, quarterback Bo Brandt found Forrest Brandt with a four-yard touchdown. After forcing a Lawrence punt, the Brandt duo hooked up again on a 73-yard throw and catch and with the missed PAT the score was 13-0 with 6:54 left in the first quarter.

Griffin Thornhill rounded out St. David’s first quarter scoring with a 40 yard run on the first play of St. David’s third offensive possession. The PAT was good and the first quarter ended with St. David’s leading Lawrence 20-0.

Despite playing hard, the Lawrence defense couldn’t stop St. David’s in the second quarter. With 11:17 remaining in the quarter, Forrest Brandt was on the passing end of a 55-yard scoring toss to William Brewer. The PAT was again missed and St. David’s lead increased to 26-0.

The score at halftime was 29-0 as the Lawrence defense led by Scooter Cowand, Dakota Ray, and Hank Cobb forced a field goal after St. David’s had the ball first and goal from the one-yard line.

Lawrence’s offense led by Blake Hill showed more life in the second half on tough running by Chad Oliver. However, after being forced to punt on their first possession, Lawrence gave up a 10-yard scoring pass from Bo Brandt to Forrest Brandt with 7:27 remaining in the third quarter to make the 36-0.

On St. David’s next offensive possession, consecutive runs of 14, 36, and 25 yards, with the last being a touchdown, by Thornhill increased the lead to 43-0.

With 3:25 left in the game, quarterback Blake Hill found Shane Leggett on the fly route for a 70-yard scoring strike to put Lawrence on the scoreboard. The two-point attempt was no good, but Lawrence cut the St. David’s lead to 43-6, which was the final score.

Next Friday night, Lawrence travels to Hobgood Academy.