Falcons roll on Homecoming

Published 12:00 am Friday, October 12, 2007

WINDSOR – Bertie High School celebrated in style.

The Falcons won their Homecoming affair last night (Friday) in fine fashion, shutting out visiting Currituck High School 34-0.

Bertie jumped on their visitors early and never let up, scoring on their first two possessions to quickly take control of the football game.

After forcing a three-and-out of Currituck’s first drive, the Falcons set up shop at their own 31-yardline.

Senior quarterback Desmond Williams completed back-to-back passes to Tarquin Fogg for 25 and 14 yards respectively and set the tone for the first quarter.

With the ball at the Knight’s 30-yardline, Williams reeled off an 11-yard run and followed that up with a pass to Brandon Brown that got the ball to the Currituck 11-yardline.

Three plays later, Williams hooked up with Brown again, this time on a seven-yard scoring pass. The quarterback carried the ball in on his own for the two-point conversion and Bertie led 8-0 with 7:11 to go in the first period.

The Knights went three-and-out again and the Falcons took possession at their own 39-yardline.

Williams again found Fogg on the first play from scrimmage and moved the football all the way to the Currituck 32-yardline.

Raymond Hooker, the Falcons’ leading rusher for the night with 85 yards, picked up nine yards on second down and then added another five on the next play to give Bertie a first-and-10 at the Currituck 18-yardline.

Williams scampered for 16 of those yards on the next play and then Hooker found the endzone with just 3:30 to play in the first quarter. The conversion failed, but Bertie led 14-0.

The offense seemed to be having so much fun scoring the defense decided to get in on the action.

With the Knights facing third-and-nine from their own 14-yardline, Darius Wesson picked off a Brian Lesinski aerial at the 27-yardline and returned it all the way for a score.

The conversion pass failed, leaving Bertie with a comfortable 20-0 margin with 2:32 still to play in the first period.

Bertie didn’t find the endzone again in the first half as they struggled with a pair of fumbles, an interception and a punt.

Currituck, however, didn’t fare much better as they missed a field goal, punted and fumbled away a possession in the second quarter.

Following the halftime festivities, the Falcons got the offense back on track, taking the opening kickoff of the second half and driving 82 yards for a score.

Dextine Rascoe really got the drive started when he picked up 13 yards as the Falcons faced third-and-six. Williams then connected with Fogg for another 11 yards and Hooker added a carry for 11 yards.

Williams then connected with Brown on a 46-yard bomb and the latter scored the first touchdown of the third quarter. The conversion pass failed again, but the Falcons had claimed a 26-0 advantage.

BHS found the endzone again before the third quarter was over thanks to the heroics of Rashad Johnson, who recovered a Currituck fumble late in the period.

The fumble recovery gave Bertie the ball at the Currituck 18-yardline and it took just three plays before Hooker rumbled seven yards to paydirt. Rascoe added the conversion and Bertie led 34-0 with 4.9 seconds to play in the third quarter.

From there, Falcon mentor Tony Hoggard liberally substituted in the fourth period as the Falcons enjoyed their Homecoming celebration.

Bertie is now 6-3 overall and 4-0 in the Northeastern Coastal Conference.