Warriors begin learning process

Published 12:00 am Saturday, August 18, 2007

MERRY HILL – Rome wasn’t built in a day.

The wise old saying is something Mike Dail knew when he was lured out of retirement to take over a rebuilding task with Lawrence Academy.

The Warriors took the first step in rebuilding last night (Friday) when they took the field for the first time in 2007. The visiting Halifax Vikings took the measure of the home team, rolling up a 62-0 victory.

Dail, the veteran mentor, however, knew that there was still much to be gained from the loss and committed that he and his staff would get back to work Monday.

“We played a good football team tonight,” He said. “They are bigger, stronger and faster, but we didn’t quit.

“We didn’t tackle well, we didn’t block well and we didn’t run well, but we’re going to get back after it Monday,” he said. “Despite the score, I was pleased with our effort.”

The Warrior defense started strong, limiting the Vikings to just seven yards on their first possession and forcing a punt. The punt, however, spelled doom for Lawrence as it rolled to the three-yardline. After two plays and a net of two lost yards, the next snap went over quarterback Blake Hill’s head and rolled through the endzone for a safety.

The Warriors kicked it off on the free kick and Philip Meyers made them pay, returning the ball 45 yards to paydirt at the 8:03 mark of the first period. The conversion failed and left Halifax ahead 8-0.

After a Warrior punt, the Vikes scored again, this time getting a 16-yard touchdown pass from Meyers to Randy Fobbs at the 2:21 mark of the first quarter. The kick failed and Halifax maintained a 14-0 lead.

Just 30 seconds later, the Warriors surrendered another safety when the ball again went over Hill’s head and he was forced to cover it up in the endzone.

Meyers again returned the free kick, this time going 47 yards and helping Halifax set up shop at the Warrior three-yardline. On the next play Dane Woglemuth went the remaining three yards to paydirt. The kick failed, but Halifax had a 22-0 lead.

The Vikings added four more scores before the intermission. Kyle Salmon had a one-yard run, Woglemuth had a 13-yard score, Fobbs went 42 yards and Tim Henderson hit paydirt from 21 yards out. The result was a 48-0 halftime lead for the Vikings.

Halifax scored quickly in the second half when Fobbs went 40 yards on a punt return. Lewis Cogner added the PAT to make it 55-0.

Lawrence’s Keith Thompson appeared to have wiped the zero off the scoreboard on the first play of the fourth quarter when he rumbled 31 yards for an apparent score. A flag for holding, however, wiped the score away and the drive stalled.

Halifax scored for the final time with 9:01 to play in the game when Ryan Rawlins went 62 yards to paydirt. Cogner’s PAT made it 62-0.

Lawrence also drove to the eight-yardline later in the game, but a holding penalty pushed them back and an interception sealed the game for Halifax.

Next week’s task is no easier for the Warriors (0-1) as they play host to Rocky Mount Academy.