Apartment fire leaves families homeless

Published 12:00 am Monday, April 16, 2007

AHOSKIE – A pan left unattended on a stove apparently sparked a fire here Saturday at Peachtree Court Apartments.

Ahoskie Fire Chief Ken Dilday reported that the blaze, although quickly contained by his department, forced families in two apartments to evacuate. Those residing in three other apartments, which share a common attic with the affected area, were also asked to leave their residences while firemen battled the blaze.

Dilday said the fire broke out in Apartment 32 occupied by the family of Willie Mabine. There, a pan on the stove caught fire and the blaze ran up the wall, reaching the second floor of the apartment and eventually making its way into the attic area.

Chief Dilday added that the wall was shared by Apartment 33, causing damage to that residence as well.

Total damages were estimated at $20,000.

The Ahoskie Fire Department responded to the 4:25 p.m. alarm with three units and 11 men. Dilday summoned the assistance of the Winton Volunteer Fire Department who responded with two units and six men.

“The guys did a good job in quickly knocking down the fire,” Dilday said. “We appreciate the help from the Winton firemen.”

Dilday said the American Red Cross was helping the two families.