Fire damages Windsor home

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, December 26, 2006

WINDSOR – A Christmas Day fire left a home here with extensive damage.

According to Windsor Fire Chief Billy Smithwick, his department was called out at 1:25 p.m. Monday to a home on Thompson Drive, off U.S. 13 North across from Powell & Stokes.

Smithwick said the WFD battled the blaze for nearly two hours, but reported the owner of the home, Mrs. Jimmy Bazemore, was not at home during the time of the fire.

An electrical short in a freezer motor is responsible for the fire, according to the report.

“Apparently the fire sat and smoldered for a while before it broke out,” Smithwick said.

The chief reported the back part of the house had extensive damage from fire and the entirety of the structure suffered smoke damage.

As a “wild guess,” Smithwick said damages could be in the neighborhood of $30,000.