Quick response saves Ahoskie home
AHOSKIE – Three minutes, that’s what stood between a fire that had the potential to cause major damage and the arrival of the Ahoskie Fire Department.
It was that quick response early Saturday afternoon which saved an Ahoskie home. Three minutes after the 1:03 p.m. call for assistance was received, the first of 12 Ahoskie firefighters were at the scene n a residence located at 204 East Holloman Ave.
There, Ahoskie firemen found smoke coming from the single-story structure. Upon entering the home, the fire and the majority of the smoke were located in a bedroom.
Ahoskie Fire Chief Ken Dilday said the fire was apparently caused by an electric heater.
“The heater was too close to the bed, causing the bedding material to ignite,” Dilday said. “We were able to contain it very quickly.”
Dilday said the majority of the damage (fire and smoke) was contained to the bedroom. The remainder of the home’s interior suffered some smoke damage, according to the Fire Chief.
Estimated damages totaled $3,000 ($2,000 for the property and $1,000 for the contents).
The home is owned by Catherine Garris and was occupied by her son, Dudley Vann. He was only one inside the residence at the time of the fire.
The Ahoskie Fire Department responded to the call with 12 men and three units. Two members of the Union Fire Department and one from Winton also responded to the scene.
The firemen remained on the scene until shortly before 2 p.m.
WINDSOR – A veteran of the Bertie County Board of Education has decided not to seek reelection. Seaton Fairless of... read more