Welcome home ‘Missy’

Published 12:00 am Saturday, December 10, 2005

As you know, my daughter moved in with me when my husband died in September of 2004. When she came, she brought along with her a small dog named &uot;Missy.&uot;

Recently, she moved out, but couldn’t take Missy because there are no dogs allowed at her new apartment.

In the meantime I have been telling her she needs to find Missy another home.

I have never wanted a dog to stay in the house, but she loved Missy and that is why Missy was allowed in my house.

So now that my daughter has moved out, I am the one who has to get up and let Missy out and make sure she comes back in, feeding her and all that good stuff.

So, Saturday, I laid the law down to my daughter; either you take Missy or call the pound and see if someone will adopt her. She hollered that they were going to kill her. But I stuck with my words.

Sunday, my sister came by and told me that a friend of hers had a friend and she wanted Missy. She wanted to know if it was ok if she could pick her up after church and I said that was fine.

My daughter came and packed up Missy’s little toys and bathed her for her final farewell. But Missy didn’t leave until about 8:30 or 9 that night. She came and got in my lap and laid her head over the side of the chair as to say, I’m not going. But the lady talked to her and picked her up and then we retrieved her things and Missy was off.

As soon as she left, I called my daughter and told her that she was gone. She didn’t say anything, so I know she was hurt. But as soon as I got off the phone, I started crying. I cried for about two hours. Monday morning when I woke that was the first thing on my mind was Missy. I was wondering how she was getting along.

When I got to work I told a few of the girls that I had given her away and here comes the tears again. One of the girls asked me later on had I heard anything from Missy and here comes the tears again.

When I got ready to leave work Monday evening, my sister and Brenda was talking. Brenda told me that Verna Mae (who adopted the dog) was bringing Missy back because Missy cried all night and tried to bite a man that was doing some work for her. Tears came in my eyes, but I was smiling; Missy is coming back.

I couldn’t get home fast enough. I was home about 20 minutes when I heard Verna Mae knock. I opened the door and Missy ran in. When I saw her I knew I could never let her go again.

I was told that Missy was so glad to get home that she told Verna Mae every turn to make to get to the house. I would have never thought that I would have become so attached to a dog.

Missy you are home now and that is where you will stay until the Lord gets ready to take you home.