Saints stop FalconsDavid Friedman

Published 12:00 am Saturday, November 12, 2005

WINDSOR – He just kept going and going and going.

Southern Wayne’s Anthony Council accounted for 290 of his team’s 450 rushing yards here Friday night in the 47-18 opening round playoff win over Bertie High School.

The Falcons secondary did not allow a single completed pass in the contest but were unable to stop a powerful Southern Wayne rushing attack that featured Council and senior Derrick Lathan who contributed 114 rushing yards of his own.

Council got started early as he took the Saints’ first play from scrimmage 61 yards for the score.

Preston Grantham added the extra point and the visiting squad took the 7-0 lead with 8:46 remaining in the first quarter.

Three plays later, the Falcons answered with a touchdown of their own when sophomore running back Kevin Swain scampered 40 yards to paydirt.

The two point conversion pass fell incomplete but the Falcons had cut the deficit to one with 7:39 remaining in the opening quarter.

It would not stay that way for long however as the Saints’ would find the endzone twice more in the second quarter.

The first of those came on the legs of senior Michael Warren who plunged in from one yard out for the score.

The second touchdown belonged to Council who charged through multiple Falcon defenders on his way past the goal line.

The sophomore added to his team’s lead with a two point conversion run and the Saints’ found themselves ahead 22-6 with only 1:13 remaining in the first half.

Not yet willing to give up, Bertie drove 69 yards and scored when a Desmond Williams pass found Brandon Brown in the endzone with no time remaining.

The two point conversion run failed and the first half ended with the Saints ahead of the Falcons 22-12.

It was Bertie who would strike first in the second half.

William Howard capped a 14 play, 67 yard drive with an eight yard dash to paydirt.

The Falcons again failed to convert the two point attempt and prepared to kickoff, down 18-22 with 5:51 remaining in the third quarter.

That would prove to be the last score for the home team however as the Saints dominated the rest of the game.

Council scored twice more on runs of 63 and 25 yards.

The six foot running back finished with four touchdowns on the evening.

Lathan and Joey Legg would also reach the endzone in the second half with runs of four and five yards respectively on the way to the Saints’ 47-18 victory.

Sports Editor Thadd White contributed to this story.