Quick TD sets tone for Eagles loss

Published 12:00 am Saturday, September 17, 2005

LASKER – The tone for the entire game was set on the opening kickoff on the Northeast Academy campus Friday night. St. David’s School’s Thomas Breedlove returned the opening kickoff 83 yards for a touchdown as the Warriors went on to beat Northeast Academy 48-7.

Northeast was forced to punt on the ensuing possession and quarterback Bo Brandt of St. David’s found Cabel Sinclair in the end zone with a seven-yard pass with 7:49 left in the first quarter. The PAT was blocked and the Warriors lead stood at 13-0.

After Arch Harrell recovered a fumble at the St. David’s 45-yard line late in the quarter, sophomore quarterback Brodie Harrell hooked up with Brian McLean on a nifty 45-yard touchdown pass for Northeast. The PAT by Wesley Bryant was good and the lead was cut to 13-7.

On the ensuing kickoff, however, Breedlove got loose again and returned the kickoff 88 yards for his second touchdown of the night. Patrick Burt barreled his way into the end zone to convert the two-point try and the first quarter ended with St. David’s leading 21-7.

Northeast’s offense looked to be coming to life early in the second quarter. The Eagles put together an 11-play drive, aided by a fourth-down conversion on an Arch Harrell run on a fake punt. St. David’s defense stiffened though, and Northeast was forced to punt from their own 40-yard line.

The combination of Cameron O’Connor’s hard running and Brandt’s passing gave St. David’s a first and ten from the Northeast 30-yard line. With 6:16 left in the first half, Breedlove ran 30 yards for the score and with the successful PAT, St. David’s increased their lead to 28-7, which was the score at halftime.

After holding Northeast to three plays and a punt to begin the second half, Brandt found Michael Gonzalez in the end zone with a 16-yard strike with 6:42 left in the third quarter. The point after was not good and the score stood at 34-7.

Northeast found it difficult to sustain an offensive drive in the third quarter and was forced to punt after three plays on the ensuing possession. After taking possession on their own 44-yard line, St. David’s put together a nice drive and had the ball first and goal from the Northeast one-yard line. Craig Robinson rushed in for the score with 4:10 left in the third quarter. Northeast’s James Sykes blocked the PAT to make the score 40-7.

After an unsuccessful fake punt by Northeast on the next possession, Brandt threw to Gates Aldridge for 47 yards and the touchdown. The two-point attempt was good and the score stood at 48-7.

Neither team mounted much offense in the fourth quarter and the 48-7 stood as the final score.

Northeast will take to the road next week when they travel to Hobgood Academy.