School construction behind schedule
JACKSON – Construction is just a bit behind schedule.
Northampton County Schools’ Assistant Superintendent Phil Matthews gave his monthly update to the Board of Education here Monday evening.
During the session, Matthews reported construction on the new elementary school between Jackson and Seaboard was slightly behind schedule.
&uot;Rain and the heat have caused delays in the digging and pouring of footings,&uot; Matthews said. &uot;We are about seven days behind schedule, but it’s something that can be made up.&uot;
Matthews said site work on drives and parking is well underway and has begun on storm drains and site utilities.
Electrical service poles have been set, according to Matthews, and submittals for brick, roof color, trim and canopy color have been accepted.
The next construction meeting was scheduled for yesterday at the site.
In other business, the Board:
* met new employees for the district;
* approved changes in the travel subsistence rate;
* agreed to a one-year contract for Pierce Group Benefits;
* approved a contract with the Northampton County Recreation Department;
* were informed that Convocation will be held at 8 a.m., August 23; and
* approved a cooperative agreement with Roanoke-Chowan Community College.