‘Hot’ chase ends peaceful

Published 12:00 am Thursday, June 9, 2005

AULANDER – Monday wasn’t a good day for running.

However, an Aulander man thought otherwise as he led several law enforcement agencies on a &uot;high noon&uot; foot chase in hot and humid weather before surrendering.

Demittarus Burden, 26, of Bell Street in Aulander was placed in the Bertie-Martin Regional Jail for assault on a female, domestic violence and resist, delay and obstruct (RDO). He was held without bond on the domestic violence order (a mandated 48 hours behind bars) and under a $2,500 cash bond for the RDO. Once the 48 hours are up, Burden will appear before a judge or magistrate where bond will be set for the assault charge.

Aulander Police Chief Jimmy Barmer said he received a call shortly past 12 noon to respond to Bell Street where a female subject was allegedly being beaten. Upon arriving, Barmer said he noticed blood on the woman’s face and asked her who was responsible. She, according to Barmer, pointed to Burden, who was still in the residence at that time.

&uot;When I went to question Mr. Burden, he told me that he wasn’t going to jail and then fled out the back door,&uot; Barmer said.

The Police Chief said Burden got a good head start on the foot chase.

&uot;He got on the railroad tracks and headed towards Golden Peanut (a peanut buying and processing plant),&uot; Barmer said. &uot;He was able to duck into a wooded area and that’s when I lost complete sight of him.&uot;

Calling for assistance, several Bertie County deputies responded, as did Bertie Sheriff Greg Atkins along with two NC Wildlife Commission officers and two Town of Aulander employees. Even a few Aulander citizens came to Barmer to offer their help.

With that manpower, a perimeter was set-up around the wooded area before a tracking dog was used to pinpoint Burden’s location.

&uot;Mr. Burden came out of the woods of his own accord,&uot; Barmer noted. &uot;He came out near the spot where he went in, near Golden Peanut. Thurman Morris and Tommy Hale (Town of Aulander employees) were standing there when he came out.&uot;

Burden surrendered without further incident.

&uot;He didn’t try to run again,&uot; Barmer said. &uot;It was dripping hot. I knew he was hot and tired.&uot;

Barmer said he appreciated the assistance he received in making the arrest.

&uot;Being in a small town, you have to use every resource at your disposal,&uot; he stressed. &uot;The law enforcement agencies around Aulander are always supportive when I need help. They’ve got my back and I’ve got theirs anytime they need my assistance.&uot;

The Police Chief was also appreciative of the help offered by the citizens.

&uot;It wasn’t like they grabbed a weapon and headed off into the woods,&uot; Barmer noted. &uot;They just came up to me and offered to do whatever I felt was necessary to help bring this man to justice. I appreciate what they did, just as I did for what Thurman and Tommy did for me.&uot;

The victim was transported by Lewiston-Woodville Rescue to Roanoke-Chowan Hospital where she was treated and released.