House fire claims Colerain woman

Published 12:00 am Thursday, January 27, 2005

COLERAIN – A Tuesday night fire near this Bertie County town claimed the life of an elderly woman.

Details surrounding the fatal blaze are still under investigation, but the Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald did learn that Maddie White, 84, of 1735 NC 45 North died in the fire.

White’s daughter, 63-year-old Verna White Perry, was burned in the blaze. She was transported to Pitt Memorial Hospital in Greenville where, according to Bertie County Sheriff Greg Atkins, she is recovering from her injuries.

Sheriff Atkins said the fire apparently started in the kitchen where a pan of grease overheated.

There were no other people in the home at the time of the blaze.

Firemen from Colerain and Perrytown responded to the fire.