Double homicide under investigation

Published 12:00 am Friday, November 26, 2004

AHOSKIE – There has been no new information in the double murder that occurred in an apartment complex here during the early morning hours of Nov. 14.

Ahoskie Police Chief Troy Fitzhugh said Monday that officers are continuing to work leads and the investigation is being worked night and day.

&uot;At this time, I do not have any information to report,&uot; Fitzhugh said. &uot;Our officers are working leads and will continue to work leads until an arrest is made.&uot;

The double murder was termed a possible &uot;home invasion&uot; by police following the incident and continues to be ruled as such.

Rumors of a female subject entering the apartment prior to the shooting and of the killer or killers looking for a &uot;certain&uot; person have been dead-ended by police who will not confirm or deny what is being said on the street.

The facts, as this newspaper is able to obtain them, are that the double homicide occurred sometime prior to 4:28 a.m. on the morning of Nov. 14, the time in which the Ahoskie Police Department received a call and responded to Apt. 4 of Gordon Court in Ahoskie.

Police found Christopher Kevin Goddard, 20, and Robert Smith, 22, dead at the scene. Both men have Ahoskie addresses, but no information was provided as to if the two men resided in the apartment where they were found.

In a limited statement given over a week ago on the Monday following the murders, Ahoskie Police Department Major Jimmy Asbell told the Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald that gunshots had been heard and that two people were dead.

He said the cause of death, at this time, is pending an autopsy report.

Asbell would not comment on any details surrounding the case, saying, &uot;We are working several leads. At this time, there is really nothing further we can say about the incident.&uot;

Asbell did say the State Bureau of Investigation had been called to assist in securing the crime scene.

The autopsies of the two victims were expected to be complete by Nov. 15 and authorities were hoping to have information back from those reports as early as Tuesday of last week; however, there has been no information as to those reports and relating to the cause of death.

Funeral services were held for both victims of the crime at Soul Saving Station last Thursday and Friday.