Falcons edge Goldsboro

Published 12:00 am Monday, August 30, 2004

WINDSOR – In a game much closer than the score makes it out to be, the Bertie Falcons defeated the Goldsboro Cougars 20-7 in Windsor Friday night.

Led by running back William Howard, the Falcons used their ground attack to gain 191 rushing yards and grind out the win.

Both teams, led by freshmen quarterbacks, had trouble getting anything going early on.

As the offense struggled it was the defensive lines that took the opportunity to shine as Bertie’s brother combo of Dennis and Devin Saunders consistently broke up plays in the backfield.

The Cougars defensive line was led by Jarrett Bryant, a 6’5 defensive tackle who cut short any runs headed his direction.

The Falcons finally found the endzone with just under three minutes remaining in the first quarter when Desmond Williams kept the ball on the quarterback option and scampered 10 yards for the TD.

Howard ran in the two-point conversion to give Bertie the 8-0 lead.

An interception by the Falcon’s Casey Owens gave them back the ball but they were unable to do anything with it as the Cougar defense forced the three-and-out to end the first quarter.

The second quarter began with Bertie’s defense once again coming up big as they forced the punt, which was blocked by linebacker Patrick Williams.

The home team almost scored on the next play when Owens avoided what seemed destined to be a tackle for a loss and galloped 31 yards to paydirt.

The touchdown was called back however on a Falcon’s clipping penalty.

Both teams struggled with penalties and turnovers for the remainder of the half.

The second half began as the first half ended as both squads struggled with mental mistakes.

It was the fourth quarter before the Falcons once again reached the endzone on an 11 yard run by Jareekus Creecy.

The two-point conversion failed giving Bertie the 14-0 advantage with 11:35 remaining in the game.

The Cougars again turned over the ball as the Falcon’s Bryant Watford intercepted a pass and ran 38 yards before being brought down.

Bertie was unable to take advantage as the Goldsboro defense forced the punt.

Both teams made drives but neither scored until Kendale Williams scored from two yards out with just over 2 minutes left in the contest.

Desmond Williams got the two-point conversion increasing the Falcon lead to 20.

Goldsboro got on the scoreboard on their next possession when Treme Boone threw a pass to a waiting Jacob Sykes who scampered 79 yards for the touchdown.

This proved to be the final score of the evening.