Brawl leads to three arrests

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, February 25, 2004

AHOSKIE – If you choose to engage in fisticuffs, it’s perhaps not a wise idea to do so at a police station.

A trio of Hertford County residents were arrested here Monday night after an apparent domestic situation turned ugly in the lobby area of the Ahoskie Police Department.

Lasonya Denise Williams, 27, of 303 West Richard St., Ahoskie, Chudney Tremain Banks, 24, of 213 Boyette St., Murfreesboro and Latoya Corese Nixon, 19, of 137-D Ahoskie-Cofield Rd., Ahoskie were charged with a variety of infractions and incarcerated in the Hertford County Jail.

Williams was charged with simple assault and engaging in an affray. She was jailed under a $1,200 bond. Banks spent 48 hours in jail under the mandatory 48-hour domestic violence law. He was also charged with assault on a female and engaging in an affray. Nixon matched Banks’ domestic violence infraction as she also spent 48 hours in jail. In addition, she also faces simple assault and engaging in an affray charges.

According to Ahoskie Police Chief Steve Hoggard, the trio entered the lobby where they began to fight. The police dispatcher summoned help and APD Sgt. K.E. Burgess, who was in another part of the building, entered the lobby.

&uot;Sgt. Burgess attempted to break-up the scuffle, but the three adults ignored his repeated warnings and continued to engage in fighting one another,&uot; said Chief Hoggard. &uot;After several attempts to convince them to stop fighting, Sgt. Burgess used pepper spray to break it up.&uot;

Meanwhile, another Ahoskie Police officer, Timothy V. Wadsworth, was en route to the Police Station to answer the call for assistance. However, Officer Wadsworth failed to properly negotiate the Church Street/McGlohon Street intersection, resulting in a single-vehicle accident.

A report filed by the North Carolina Highway Patrol showed that Wadsworth was operating a town-owned vehicle, a 2004 Ford, which had its blue lights and siren activated at the time. He attempted to turn the vehicle right onto McGlohon Street from Church Street at which time the vehicle struck a building owned by John Boyd of Cofield. Damage to the squad car was listed at $2,000 and $3,000 to the building.

No charges were filed in the accident and Officer Wadsworth was uninjured.

None of the combatants in the fight were injured.