Debris pile growing at HC Landfill

Published 12:00 am Thursday, October 23, 2003

WINTON – The good news is that the state Department of Transportation (DOT) has completed roughly 25 percent of its roadside debris collection process in Hertford County. The bad news is that the pile of debris is growing into a miniature version of Mt. Everest at the site of the old Hertford County Landfill.

Hertford County’s Board of Commissioners were informed of those facts here on Monday night during their regularly scheduled meeting. In an effort to begin chipping away at that mountain of vegetative trash, now estimated at 30,000 tons and growing daily, the Commissioners pre-approved a disposal contract to Tarheel Specialty Company.

Three firms submitted bids for grinding and disposing of the debris placed at the landfill by DOT as well as Hertford County citizens. Tarheel’s winning bid of $12.85 per ton was the lowest. Storm Reconstruction Services, Inc. ($17.73 per ton) and C&B, LLC ($29.65) also submitted bids.

The contract will be awarded to Tarheel Specialty contingent upon the company providing the necessary paperwork to meet the requirements of liability insurance and workman’s compensation.

FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) provided the contractual guidelines. That federal agency will pick-up 75 percent of the debris disposal costs with the state of North Carolina paying the remaining 25 percent.

In other Hurricane Isabel recovery news, the Commissioners approved two other items that will aid Hertford County in an effort to rebuild following the destructive storm.

County Manager Don Craft informed the Commissioners that the county was eligible for $63,009.37 in &uot;unmet needs&uot; funding from the state. Craft acknowledged that the county’s Unmet Needs Committee would assemble and devise a list of those within the county with the greatest needs in the wake of the hurricane. Those storm victims can use the money to offset costs of food/food supplies, prescriptions/medical supplies not covered by insurance, rental assistance/mortgage payment for home or business, utility payments and cash assistance.

Based upon the advice of the committee, county officials must submit its distribution plan to the Governor’s office no later than tomorrow (Friday). After approving those plans, the Governor will forward the pre-designated allocations to each storm-affected county by Oct. 31. The county will then publicize and distribute the funds over a two-week period (Nov. 1-15).

Craft also explained that he had received a request for participation in the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program. The request has to be authorized by the Commissioners no later than Oct. 27.

&uot;The idea behind this program is to remove people from the path of a similar weather event in the future,&uot; said Craft. &uot;To date, no dollar amount has been specified for this program.&uot;

Craft went on to explain there are approximately 40 Hertford County residences along the Chowan River that may qualify for hazard mitigation.

&uot;Tunis was one of the hardest hit areas in the county, but anywhere in the county where rising water caused significant damage could become eligible for this program,&uot; he stated.

Craft asked the Commissioners for their authorization in order for the county to move forward with the unmet needs and hazard mitigation programs. In a pair of 5-0 votes, the Commissioners granted both requests.