Aulander man suffers burns

Published 10:09 am Thursday, December 31, 2009

AULANDER – One man was injured in a home accident here Sunday evening.

According to Bertie County Emergency Management Coordinator Rickey Freeman, a 911 call was received at approximately 4:45 p.m. Sunday from Buck Branch Road in Aulander advising a home fire in progress along with an injury.

The Aulander Fire Department, Lewiston-Woodville EMS, Hertford County EMS and the Aulander Police Department were dispatched to the scene and found Turner Rascoe Jr., the owner of the residence, burned on both legs. He was transported to Roanoke-Chowan Hospital where he was treated and transferred.

“We were only on the scene for about 10 to 15 minutes as far as the fire itself,” said Aulander Fire Chief David Klingler. “I would classify it more as an accident with flammable liquids.”

Authorities believe Rascoe was trying to light a fire when the accident occurred, causing the burns to his legs. The home, however, had minimal structural damage although there was some smoke damage.

Freeman said this time of year saw these types of accidents increase and urged those who use heaters to be careful.

“If you’re lighting a fire place or a kerosene heater or anything of that nature, please be cautious,” Freeman said. “Sometimes it is easy to get comfortable because we do something regularly, but you should always be extremely careful.”