Ridgecroft and Oakwood end tied

Published 9:08 am Thursday, March 26, 2009

AHOSKIE – Ridgecroft School battled Oakwood School through two halves and two overtimes, but neither was able to find the net.

The Lady Rams soccer team battled through the entire match, controlling play on the offensive end of the field, but couldn’t capitalize despite 15 shots on goal.

“Obviously, it wasn’t the result we were looking for,” said fourth-year Rams’ coach Aron Martin. “Defensively, I was pleased with our performance. I was also pleased with the way we moved the ball at times, but we couldn’t make that final pass and finish.

“Finishing is a struggle right now and we have to find ways to overcome that,” he continued. “Still, it’s early and the girls are listening so we’re going to get better. As we get into the heart of conference play, we’ll have to put together a more consistent package of play.”

Defensively the Rams were sharp for most of the match. Senior keeper Caitlyn Harrison saved all three shots Oakwood was able to make and had an excellent day getting the ball back into play on the opposite side of the field with her kicks.

Also sharp for the Rams on defense were senior sweeper Bardin Murray and defender Erin Riddick.

“Caitlyn did a good job defending the net,” Martin said. “We also got good effort from Bardin keeping us steady. Erin was played well defensively.”

Offensively, the Rams got steady play from Alex Riddick and Miller Bryant.

“Alex and Miller both played hard,” the coach said.

The Rams’ first chance came with 33 minutes to play in the first half when Tori Sexton got a solid shot at the goal, but saw it deflected over the top by the Oakwood keeper.

With nine minutes remaining, Bryant had a shot that was defended and two minutes later she had another opportunity, but again the keeper was up to the task.

The Lady Rams got off two shots late in the contest, but neither was able to find the back of the net. Bryant got a good look with 5:13 remaining, but the ball was defended.

Then, with about a minute to play, a Ridgecroft shot was deflected back into play and picked up by an Oakwood player. The Lady Eagles had two players on the attack, but Murray was able to stop near disaster when she stole the ball and sent it back to the Lady Rams.

Brice Harrison got a shot in the second overtime for Ridgecroft, but it went just left as the stalemate remained.

“We had some good performances, but not at every position,” Martin closed. “We’ll get back at it.”

The tie came just after the Lady Rams blanked Hobgood Academy 2-0 on Friday.

“That was a messy affair because of the field, but we did well,” Martin said. “Hobgood put up a real fight and they are well-coached.”

In that match, Bryant had two goals and Elizabeth Joyner had one assist.

The result of the two matches is the Lady Rams will be 3-1-1 heading into Friday’s Coastal Plains Independent Conference matchup with Greenfield. That match will begin at 3 p.m. Friday at Mike Bryant Soccer Field on the campus of Ridgecroft School.