Burning home void of occupants

Published 6:37pm Wednesday, March 12, 2014

GASTON – Fortunately, no one was at home during a residential fire here Sunday night.

Gaston Fire Chief Ed Porter Jr. said units from his department were dispatched at 9:48 p.m. to a home located on Faison Drive. Upon arrival, fire crews found flames and smoke coming from a baby’s room filling up the residence.

Bystanders and Gaston Police on scene found the occupant’s vehicle in the driveway and were unsure if there was anyone inside the residence. Firefighters forcefully breached the front door. One crew attacked the fire while another crew searched inside the residence for occupants. The fire was extinguished and the search found the home empty of its occupants.

Porter said the home was extinguished and searched within a 10-minute period.

Firefighters from both Gaston and Garysburg fire departments helped to extinguish the fire while crews from Gaston EMS and Northampton County EMS provided medical rehab. Firefighters remained on scene for two hours.

Porter said the cause of the fire appeared to be from an electric air conditioner within the window of the baby’s room.

The American Red Cross will assist the family.

Editor's Picks